This weekend all around the Common Wealth, Queen Elizabeth IIwill celebrate 60 years as reining monarch. Four days of celebrations, 2nd June to 5th June 2012, are taking place around Britain. Yesterday marked 60 years since the Queen’s coronation and Queen Elizabeth attended the Epsom Derby horse racing festival.
The last Diamond Jubilee was of Queen Victoria’s which was celebrated of 23rd September 1896, a grand 116 years ago.
Documentries, events, television broadcasts are just some of the ways we are celebrating this wonderful event. As I type this, I am watching the Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant which is being broadcasted live on BBC ONE. Huw Edwards, Sophie Raworth and Matt Baker are hosting live coverage of one of the biggest events of the year as a fleet of 1,000 boats, led by the Queen, Prince Philip and other members of the Royal Family, sails down the River Thames. This is an event that will go down in history. If Queen Elizabeth reigns another four years she will take the title of the longest reigning monarch in British history.
Long live the queen!
- Queen Elizabeth’s 60th anniversary party gets under way (dailystar.com.lb)
- Prince William pays personal tribute to Queen Elizabeth II (cbsnews.com)
- Diamond Jubilee: Queen Elizabeth to lead giant jubilee flotilla in London (vancouversun.com)
- Diamond Jubilee: Queen starts celebrations at Derby – BBC News (bbc.co.uk)
- Diamond Jubilee celebrations: Street parties, God bless (scotsman.com)
- Queen Elizabeth crowns start to jubilee at the races – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Diamond Jubilee: Queen voted favourite monarch of all time – Telegraph.co.uk (telegraph.co.uk)
- Jubilee pageant to honour Queen (bbc.co.uk)